Does Medicare Cover On-Demand Physical Therapy?

Get on the road to recovery with help from Medicare and a Luna physical therapist
By Luna
Does Medicare Cover On-Demand Physical Therapy?

"Does Medicare cover on-demand physical therapy?" At Luna, this is one of the top questions we hear from our patients. The answer is yes -- Medicare covers the majority of the cost of a physical therapy session. Even better, those with Medicare and secondary insurance coverage pay no out-of-pocket expenses for on-demand physical therapy. Whether you have secondary insurance or not, we've broken down each Medicare scenario for you, so you know what to expect. 

First, Luna is a top, on-demand physical therapy business. As such, we're an in-network and fully credentialed Medicare provider. Before we outline the coverage scenarios in more detail, we want to remind you that all Medicare patients have a deductible of $198 that resets at the beginning of each year. What that means is that the patient must pay the first $198 for any Part B services received. Don't worry, though. Most of our Medicare patients have already met that deductible by the time a Luna physical therapist provides treatments. 

Physical therapy patients with Medicare

For physical therapy, Medicare requires a signed plan of care. It's easy -- your Luna therapist creates a plan of care during your first visit, and the Luna team works with your doctor to get it approved. You'll need a new plan of care established every 90 days or ten visits, whichever is sooner. As far as costs are concerned, Medicare covers 80% of your physical therapy session. If you do not have secondary coverage, you'll be responsible for the remaining 20%, usually only $20-$25.  

Physical therapy patients with Medicare and secondary insurance

If you have Medicare as well as secondary insurance, then you'll have no out-of-pocket expense. As you know, Medicare pays 80% of the bill. Your secondary insurance picks up the remaining 20%, resulting in $0 responsibility from you. Over 95% of our patients have both Medicare and secondary insurance coverage, so they don't have to pay for Luna physical therapy services. 'Free' is a fantastic price to pay for such high-quality care.

Physical therapy patients with Medicare Advantage

For those patients with Medicare Advantage, the same rules mentioned above apply, except they would pay a small, $20 co-pay. 

How do I find out if I'm covered?

If you're not sure if you're covered or have questions, call our team at 866-806-3599. They can instantly verify your benefits, usually in 30 seconds or less. It's worth picking up the phone, as most of our patients discover that their care is completely covered. 

In this video, one of our Medicare patients told us, "When the Luna therapist comes, I open the door, and I see my miracle." Will you be next to experience a ‘miracle’? There's only one way to find out. Schedule your appointment today.

Get on-demand physical therapy today.
Schedule Visit